|Thanks to the Prayer Book Society of Canada for this image.|
- Paul calls us to be faithful stewards of the mysteries of God (vv1&2). Marriage between a man and a woman is one of those mysteries, a profound mystery, in fact (Eph 5.31-32). Lord, may we be faithful stewards of your gift of marriage, that profound mystery.
- We are also not to go beyond what is written (1 Cor 4.6). Lord, may we resist the temptation to go beyond your Word in Holy Scripture in any of our Church’s teaching and doctrine.
- Beware of false prophets (v15) and apostles (see the petition in the Collect for St Matthais above). LORD, help us by Your Holy Spirit to recognize false prophecy and apostles and to avoid being led astray by them.
- Not everyone who says, “‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” (V21). It is vitally important that we discern what the true will of the Father is for our Church. LORD, Your will be done in Your Church as it is in heaven.
- Building our house on the rock rather than on the sand (vv 24-27). LORD, may all our building be on the rock of properly hearing Your Words and doing them well and faithfully.